Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Say, what's this all about?

Communication, at its most basic level, is an energetic exchange.  Sacred Communication occurs when we remember that, since we are all connected as One, all communication truly takes place within.  When we are able to remember this Truth, we can practice communicating mindfully thereby removing blocks and re-energizing the flow.

Ok so that introduces “Sacred Communication” in a vast way that satisfies the part of me that enjoys defining EVERYTHING.  But what is this blog really about?  The truth is I don’t know … yet.  I can, however, tell you where and when it started.

In my dreams, when I freshly pregnant with E-Max.

Anyone who’s had the pleasure of experiencing crazy pregnancy dreams, go ahead and roll your eyes.  After all, you don’t go around in the waking world labeling people as pineapples or cacti.
But seriously, I dreamt I was working with families, teaching a workshop called “Sacred Communication.”  Those two words were so important I heard them shouted into my ear as I was waking up.  As if my subconscious, my Guides, random electrical impulses in my brain, whatever, were saying “Don’t forget-SACRED COMMUNICATION!” 
I awoke inspired to action.  A Divine calling to Teach I’m sure.  Nothing less.  But what was “Sacred Communication”?  I had no idea.  How was I going to teach something if I didn’t even know what it was?  The same way I had taught all other subjects I was fuzzy on: Google.
Well that didn’t exactly pan out.  Maybe I should have tried Bing.  Nor did my very teacherly approach of creating an official lesson plan with every minute outlined for the first workshop.  It was clearly time to grab my mind machete.  I had to cut my own path.

I’ve always cherished the idea of going against the grain.  Blazing my own trail.  But it’s easier said than done.  Truth is I can be a bit of a lazy butt.  And as those clichés illustrate, while the idea of creating my own path is a romantic one, the practice is both tedious and terrifying.  I found it difficult to break away from my plan of legitimizing myself through paying lots of money to earn degrees and working soul-crushing jobs to pay my dues.  I’m still a sucker for pieces of paper with pretty borders and shiny emblems.
Then a great mentor and friend of mine, Rich Braconi, spoke wisdom that served as the catalyst for my freedom.  He said, “You’re going to be teaching things that have never been taught in brand new ways.  Why would you be receiving the information through a traditional route?” 
That shut me up pretty quickly, albeit temporarily.  Those of you who know me, might say this is a good thing.  You’d be right. 
Sacred Communication is something I’m learning about in all ways.  Sometimes simply by just noticing.  Sometimes by knitting my brow and grasping at words until my brain hurts.  It’s a process and one I wish to share with you. 
A key component of Sacred Communication is to practice communicating mindfully.  As in mindful meditation, it is indeed a practice.  I could not hope to become an expert on this idea of Sacred Communication without consciously practicing communicating. 
So please join me on this journey.  Your participation isn’t just wanted, it’s a necessity.  I need to hear what you think.  What you have to say.  I need your input.  I need you to shut me up so I can listen.  Communication is, at the very least, a two-way street.  Okay, more of an infinite-lane thoroughfare.  Hop in.  Be my navigator. 

8 comments:

  1. Awesome Lauren! It is cool that you are acting on your inspiration! ...I don't do that often enough. (guess I can be a lazy butt too. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ang! And hey, our butts may be lazy but that doesn't make them any less sacred!

      Delete
  2. Love this!! And interestingly enough last night at 5Rhythms we were talking about this very thing...ok well not this very thing, but we were talking about communication. Although we were focusing on the space and time where we go from taking information in to putting that knowledge out in the world via some form of communication. One thing that stayed with me was this idea that the only way we can communicate effectively is to know and be connected to an essential truth in ourselves. When we communicate with others from that place, it becomes much smoother. In addition to connecting with that truth within, we must connect with the truth of whomever we are communicating with.

    I just find it very interesting that I just had this conversation about communication last night and now this morning am reading your wonderfully written blog post!! Hmm.... someone is trying to tell me something! Love the universe and its timing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sweet synchronicity. You put it beautifully my dear: "the only way we can communicate effectively is to know and be connected to an essential truth in ourselves." Simply perfect.

      It's funny too because the part I left out of my story was about how I had been dancing when a lot of this info came to me. I was just dancing with E-Max, having a grand ol' time, when it occured to me that dance was a form of communication. Well that must have been the key because a surge of knowledge seemed to flash flood in my brain. And I had the idea for the workshop! It was pretty groovy. I must check out 5Rhythms again. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. Your writing is wonderful. You drew me in and I kept wanting to read more. Wishing you many wonderful moments on your journey of Sacred Commuication. You are on the right path for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Your words encourage me greatly. I sense a second post coming on :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome first post! And it looks like you only have pineapples commenting, so that's good ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the pineappliest pineapple of them all. Hope it's all pineapples for you these days!

      Delete